M&M Mars Plant Office & Cafeteria Renovation
CREATIVE USE OF COLOR, INTERIOR FINISHES, AND BRANDING ELEMENTS ENLIVEN CANDY PRODUCTION OFFICES
Known worldwide for its production of colorful candies, Mars Snackfoods is synonymous with fun. After renovating its administrative facility in Hackettstown, New Jersey, Mars decided that the offices at its adjacent M&M manufacturing plant were looking a little dull by comparison. Finishes and furnishing were worn and in need of replacement. Company leaders saw an opportunity to infuse some fun into plant offices, while also enhancing their function.
Gannett Fleming has been working with Mars Snackfoods for nearly a decade, assisting with a number of renovation projects, as well as programming efforts for a new Innovation Center. Our design team embraced the chance to add some color and excitement to a facility that produces one of the world’s most iconic candy brands.
What We Did
Architects and interior designers met with plant administrators to review the functional requirements of spaces targeted for renovation. Mars corporate policy encourages an open office environment without individual walls or partitions. Open work spaces are supported by enclosed conference rooms and informal meeting areas with banquet seating that creates the feel of a restaurant. Strategically located “Snack Shacks” are a favorite source of free Mars products for both employees and plant visitors.
Designers created a plan to strengthen the facility’s corporate identity and liven up the offices with M&M branded colors, characters, and logos. Our team specified new finishes, furniture, millwork, and fixtures for an informal meeting area, offices, conference rooms, main lobby, corridors, and corporate cafeteria. Bright candy colors encircle the Snack Shacks, accent walls, and new rounded doorways. Large M&M characters on the walls greet passersby with a smile. Visitors are welcomed by a river of molten chocolate made from wavy brown VCT tile that flows from the reception desk out the front door. A new wall of freeform panels adds branding to the lobby and helps to restrict views into the plant. The new finishes, furnishings, and colors create an uplifting work environment that now reflects the spirit of the products manufactured here each day.
- New rounded half-walls and soffits add color and definition to Snack Shack break areas.
- Updated finishes and furnishings provide a fresh new look for the plant’s offices and cafeteria.
- Large M&M characters add branding elements and pops of color to accent walls.
- Freeform panels create a new visitor waiting area that is visually separated from plant activities.
- New M&M branded design elements strengthen corporate identity at Mars plant.
- Colorful finishes and interior features create a fun and inspiring work environment.
- Plant offices are now on par with the adjacent corporate administrative offices.
Mars Snackfood US, LLC
Architecture, Interior Design